Friday, March 4, 2011

Euthanasia and point of view...

During the debate about euthanasia, more than a debate about the topic chosen I felt like the students were much more debating about their own values and beliefs. We know that values are part of the culture of a certain group, the debate showed me how this class is divided by subcultures. They are all Americans and share a lot of value together but the nationality doesn't do everything. The way you've been raised and the values you've been given often make you being part of a subculture.
Indeed the debate turned quickly about religion. A big reason why a few people where against euthanasia was because God should be the only one to chose when it's your time to leave this world. Being at the table where most people agreed being against euthanasia I followed the crowed even if my opinion was pretty divided on this controversial subject. Now, can we bring God in a debate in a country where religion and law are separated? I felt that that was the most controversial subject during this class period. Yes, this country was found on religious values that the whole American culture used to share. Do they still share this value? I don't think so. I think that the religion values and Christians values went from: base of a child education to: a choice to be part of a subculture. To come back to the topic euthanasia; I would say that even if a lot of people (as example : almost everyone in the class) are pro euthanasia, can you go against strong values as the Christians ones that led the country for centuries and that are now a bit forgotten but still important in a lot of American people's life? How does religion interfere in the government choices and in the law ? Even if this country is now secular, can its people bring an "earlier established religion" in any debate? I really felt like the debate was a lot about religious and personal belief during this debate in class which is also a really controversial subject to talk about.
My point of view on euthanasia is, as I said earlier pretty divided. It really raise a lot of questions on me about how people would use their right if euthanasia was completely legal. I am really concerned about that primarily because of history. Indeed when Hitler decided to kill everyone he made "euthanasia" legal. How could we stop someone of doing bad things if a "murder" is legal? What if the excuse for a "murderer" become: "he asked me to kill him, he was suffering too much, I just executed his wish". What if Grandma is ill, as a million dollars in a bank account ready to be given to me when she dies, but she never dies. What if I need this money or what if I like money more than grandma who can't really raise her voice and speak for herself anymore? Can I legitimately unplug the machines keeping her alive?.. But people are suppose to be able to control their life and to be the only ones choosing for themselves. What if they chose death, can I stop them of making this choice?
I don't think I really have any positive answer for those questions and that's why I think that this issue is really difficult to discuss...

No comments:

Post a Comment