The video we watch about Appalachian people just struck me. I did not imagine that this kind of poverty could exist in America. However, even more than the video, the reaction of my classmates surprised me a lot.
Indeed when I made a comment saying that there is something to do and that the government should do something some of my classmates looked at me like I was an alien. They argued that this is none of the government business and that they don't need help, they just need to get up and do something, be less lazy, don't spend their money on drugs and stop getting welfare if they don't do anything. I was shocked! I think that most of those people unfortunately cannot do better than what they do now. They fight to survive, they have to walk hours, even in the cold to get to there job. I don't think this is a matter of motivation or willingness, it is a matter of chance. We know those people grew up in those mountains and they didn't chose it. I think that their status is vicious circle. It is hard to get out of this conditions because they can't get a good education. How can they find a job without an education, and if they find on, how do they get there without a car? Buying a car is out of the question , it would be like cutting food for the family for a month.. "Don't touch drugs and spend the little money you have in that." It is true, they shouldn't touch drugs, but what can you expect from someone who knows that they are going to be miserable their whole life, as their parents, as their children.. I know that the government cannot save everyone, but isn't there something to do tough?.. How can you let those people die of poverty.. That video was really sad and it made me realize that we are really, really lucky.
This video also made me reflect on social classes and how when you have been growing up in a safe and "wealthy" or not "poor" environment you sometimes don't realize the struggle of other people. Where is empathy? Instead of thinking "oh, that is terrible, those people are miserable, it's heart breaking." you think "They take advantage of the money we give them and are still poor, the get welfare and don't even work and get on drugs."...
I believe this is a touchy subject and we can all have different opinions but your opinion probably comes from how, where and in what environment you grew up. So, does social class and status shape your way of thinking and opinion ?...
No comments:
Post a Comment